Sunday, September 22, 2013

Back with some burlap

I apologize for the lack of posts from me over the last two weeks, however I have been pretty busy. This happened:

I will post more with the bits and pieces later, and about our awesome honeymoon in Disneyworld, that was so much fun I never wanted to leave and tried to convince Keith and my best friend to become costumed characters down there with me so we could stay there forever.

Anyway, when I got married, I wanted to add some Jenn details (as seen in my last wedding post). So Keith and I found some awesome cobalt blue burlap at Hobby Lobby. One of our colors was that exact blue! So I bought 10 yards of it, with a gift card I received, and we decided to wait to figure out what to do with it. (Note, this is NOT the best course of action, however it was our only real impulse buy for the wedding) We decided to use the burlap under our vases and table numbers at the reception. Then came the problem of how to cut it with the least amount of frayed ends.

So here is a tutorial on how to cut burlap that worked for us: 

 Get your burlap and a nice, sharp pair of scissors. My mom used to be a seamstress, these are her babies. Usually, use a cutting board, however I was too busy watching tv while doing this, so I did it on the floor.

 First step, find a string at the measure you want it. Mine were about 16 inches wide. Pull on that single string with even force, but nothing too hard or you will break the string in half.


Keep going, you might need to use your other hand to guide the string out. But at the end, you want a void, where the string was and that needs to go all the way through. Do you see the void where I removed the string? It should look like that.

 Then cut the burlap in the void where the string is no longer. MAKE SURE you only cut in that line or you will get more fray then you want.



There you have it a clean cut. It wasn't hard, just time consuming when you have to do 19.




And here is the finished product! I think they turned out pretty darn nice. :)


Okay, so I hope this tutorial helps with your burlap needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment