Sunday, May 4, 2014

Our new hobby

For a few years I had been thinking about buying myself a record player. But I couldn't really justify- I had no where to put it, it was pricey, I had music on my computer, etc. When my grandpa passed away I noticed this awesome yellow record stand in his basement, and took it. So, for awhile I put plants on it, and a lamp and all that, but it didn't feel right without a record player. So I bought one for my big birthday this year and I have loved it!


So, I got the record player for my birthday with only two records I found at a thrift store for 99 cents each- Cabaret Soundtrack and a sampler with several blues-y songs. So then Keith got me three records for my birthday- new and newer music. Every since, we have such a great time record shopping.


This is our collection since end of January. We barely ever buy them new and full price. We get a lot of them at thrift stores or at used record store or antique shops. Most thrift shops have a record bin or box located near the books. Usually they are between 99 cents to two dollars. We have picked up several great gems from thrift stores, loads of classical music and some like the one below:



The hunt is so fun to find a record that you really can't wait to listen to. We have different tastes, so our collection really shows that. Also, Keith looks like he is a weirdo in this photo. he's not.



I have the problem of when I listen to the radio, cds or music in the car I don't listen to the whole song but skip around. I cannot do this easily on the record and it allows me to really enjoy a whole album. I have been noticing that not only will I listen to the record the whole way through, but will replay it twice in a sitting sometimes. I love the record player.


But seriously, record shopping is probably my new favorite hobby. I love sifting through the racks to find the gems. I cannot wait to keep expanding the collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment