Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Recipe: Taco Pizza

Today is New Year's Eve! It has been one year, great and bad. I am reflecting back on my favorite moments, and I really enjoyed this year as a whole. I am making a goal for myself to make 2014 a fantastic year. I have a list of 14 things that I want to do in the New Year. One of those big ones is to cook more at home. I plan to try a new recipe once a week during the new year, so I have taken the last few days to warm up... 



So, I did this! I combined two of my favorite foods into one awesome food. I love mexican food and I love pizza.

What you need:
One refridgerated roll out pizza dough
One small can of no salt added tomato sauce
One can of refried beans
One bag of shredded mexican cheese
One pound of ground turkey
One pack of taco seasoning
Lettuce
Salsa or taco sauce to taste

So, here's how:

Cook the turkey. Add 1/2 cup of water and taco seasoning and coat the turkey. Follow the rules on the pizza dough roll. For mine I had to preheat oven to 400. The pizza dough needs to be "pre-cooked" for about 5 to 8 minutes before you add ingredients in it. So, while I pre-cooked the pizza, I mixed the can of refried beans and tomato sauce into a new mixture, that will be the base of the pizza. 

Once the pizza is pre-cooked, spread out the bean/tomato sauce mixture onto the dough. Sprinkle on the cheese all over the pizza, then spread out the cooked turkey. I should also note, that you don't need turkey, but we wanted healthier, beef is fine too. If you like tomatoes, you can also add a can of drained sliced tomatoes on top of the pizza. Anyway, cook the pizza another 6-8 minutes until the dough browns. 

After cooking, let the pizza set out for a bit. Then add lettuce and salsa or taco sauce to it.And you're ready to enjoy. 


It didn't look fantastic, but man did it tasted great! I put too much tomato sauce on the pizza the first time, so next time I would change from a whole can to a small can.

Alright kids, have a great New Years! See you next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment