Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Recipe: Corn Chowder

The weather is changing here in Illinois and I am kinda diggin' the fall air. I love fall, the leaves changing, the chill in the air, wearing sweatshirts and its finally okay to drink the super hot tea I drink every morning, even during 100 degree days in the summer. So, along with the pumpkin white russian, I decided to indulge in another fall favorite. I used to make this recipe over a fire, in a cast iron pot because I am pretty awesome. It's one of my favorites, so I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. (be warned: I never said it was healthy, but man, it's tasty!)

What you need:
  • 4 slices of bacon (chopped up) I think I added more like 5 or 6...we like bacon
  • 1/2 medium onion, we don't like onion that much, so you can always add more
  • 4 medium potatoes
  • 4 cups of corn, we used frozen 
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1/4 cup of butter
  • 2 and 1/2 salt
  • 1/4 tsp of pepper
  • 2 cups of milk 
 What to do:
Saute the bacon. Once cooked all the way through, cut up into bite sized pieces.Drain most of the fat. Add onions, potatoes and 1 cup water to pot (or a bit more to cover the potatoes). Bring to a boil, then simmer ten minutes. In a second pan, combine corn, cream, sugar and butter. Simmer for ten minutes. Combine the two pots and mix together with other ingredients. Keep coking until the potatoes are tender. I added more salt and pepper for taste on mine. It yields a lot, like 6-8 servings.

Stay warm out there kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment