Sunday, October 6, 2013

D.I.Y. Upcycle T-shirt Scarf in under 10 minutes

That's right, I said it. A t-shirt scarf in under 10 minutes. Even the crafting challenged can do this easy project. I made a few for my mom and aunts last Christmas, and they all really liked them. Ignore the bad photos to go along with this post though, we are still getting our house into livable shape AND photographing your own project is a skill I need to work on.

Materials: This is easy!
  • good scissors
  • a t-shirt. I would recommend the larger the better, this was an X-L I thrifted and washed. I also recommend one without a logo/printed on, that stiffness that usually comes with design/logos make ones of the steps really hard.
So now what do I do? 
Lay the shirt flat, cut the hem off at the bottom and set aside. This project is so easy, you don't even need straight cuts.

Start on the left side of the shirt and cut horizontal strips about 1 inch thick. Again, they do not have to be terribly even. Cut until you reach a pocket/design/or sleeves and discard top half.

It should look like this when you are done. 

Take each strip and pull on them gently. These will make them longer and roll them so make them fit better in your scarf. Make sure to do this to every strip, and pull until it is the length you want. 

Remember that hem from the beginning? Yeah, bring that back and cut it on one side to make one large strip. Bunch all the stretched strips together and at the back tie the hem around the bundle. Just make a simple tie, with a long enough ending that sticks out to end the scarf. Then start wrapping the hem around the bundle. I usually do about 5 wraps.

Then tie the lose end of the hem to the original knot end of the hem sticking up. Cut off excess and tuck strips under the wrap. 
 
 
This is the finish product folded in two. 

Here is it is on me, after a long day, hence the hair. 

Anyway, this project is really simple. The hardest part is the hem wrapping, which once you get it is a breeze. Enjoy making these bad boys for the upcoming cold weather (let's hope! 80 degrees in October is just wrong!)





No comments:

Post a Comment