Sunday, October 13, 2013

Fall Recipe: Apple Bread


Keith and I went out to the pumpkin patch/apple orchard/corn maze/family fun place on our day off together. The orchard was shut, but we did enjoy ourselves playing all day, and shopping in the store.
 I promise Keith is not as creepy as he looks in this photo.

 I cannot promise I am not this short.

 Keith enjoyed the slide.

Then we went to get the most perfect pumpkin. He is currently on our coffee table, and will be carved soon.

ANYWAY, it was fun. We got pumpkins, squash and a peck of apples. Keith and I have been devouring them because they are oh so tasty. Tonight I grabbed the second to last apple to set aside to make some apple bread. I am made this bread quite a few times and I found the recipe in my handwritten notebook, so I am not sure where it comes from. I believe it's a historic recipe for the 1800s. The breads comes out like a coffee cake, except with more liquid.

Ingridents:
Dough:
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp sugar
  • 2 T butter
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 cup of milk
Topping:
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 4 T butter, soften
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 apple, diced

Okay Now how to make it!
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Mix flour, salt and baking powder. In separate bowl,  cream butter and sugar. Add beaten egg and milk and stir. Then add flour mixture. Pour mixture into a greased 9" round pan, or a loaf works fine too. For the topping, mix together the butter, sugar, and cinnamon. (Personally, I do less of the butter and brown sugar since this is what liquifies and I don't like mine too gooey. I also add more cinnamon.) Put apples on top.  If you bake in 9" round pan, cook for around 30 minutes or until bread is cooked. Timing might change.

Okay, sorry no photos of it, I forgot my camera! So enjoy the bread, but remember it is a bit gooey and messy, but delish!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment