Sunday, July 13, 2014

D.I.Y. Permanent Marker Dyed Scarves

I have had several silk scarves for two moves now and when I started to unpack in my new apartment, I finally found them and decided to do something with them. So I invited my friend Erin over and we decided to craft- so we dyed silk scarves with permanent markers.

This is an easy craft but a beautiful craft. All you need is a silk scarf, I got mine here, permanent markers, isopropyl alcohol and a dropper. I also used garbage bags/table clothes to protect the table. 

First things first, iron the wrinkles out of your scarf, then fold scarf into a triangle.

Then start creating whatever pattern you would like with colors. Make sure the ink goes all the way through to the back of the triangle.
I unfolded the triangle and added more color where I felt it was lacking. I also rubbed the ink into the silk. It dyes your fingers, but I thought it really worked.


Once I liked the designed, I refolded it into a triangle and went outside. This next part is a bit strong smelling- so do it outside or in a well ventilated area.


Once outside (and on some protective tablecloth/garbage bag) use a dropper to get out some isopropyl alcohol and slowly drop the alcohol on the ink.


The ink will spread out, so continue until its well spread and looks the way you want it to.





 I flipped it over and did both sides. You might even need to open it and continue to drop the alcohol to spread more of the ink.

Erin made a scarf too. How beautiful!


Let your scarves dry. The alcohol will dry quickly. Once it's dry, iron the scarf. I put a sheet between the iron and the scarf so it did not melt, but it really worked.






This is the final project. Turned out great! This is a hand wash only project. I just washed mine this morning and it bleed just a small amount but the pattern stayed intact. This project was really fun. I can't wait to do it again.

Happy crafting!



No comments:

Post a Comment