Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Toddler Activity- shaving cream art


Guys, I love being an aunt. I have three nieces. My oldest niece is also my goddaughter. She's a beautiful, fun-loving spirit who reminds my family of a young version of me. She is two and a few months. I went home last weekend and the two of us played a lot.

Being an educator- I want to teach her how to world works, how to see art in everything, how to explore and investigate and never stop asking questions. But she's two. And I'm her aunt, not her educator. I want to give her cuddles and dress her in princess dresses and tell her how important she is to me. This weekend we tried a bit of both- I dressed her in my dress which she declared "Too big!" and then we played with a tactile activity. This is a great toddler activity- we tried to do low mess because she is not big on messes. 


I put out a plastic table cloth and bought a thing of shaving cream from the dollar store. I warned her first that we would get "a little" messy and to ask her dad if it was okay. After we got the all clear, we headed outside for fun. I piled high some shaving cream and demonstrated to move it around. Shortly, she was squishing and moving and painting with me. Although, halfway through she asked my mom to clean her up then went back at it- it was a great time. We did hand prints, traced letters, and made pictures. 

She got really into it and said she had fun, and I believe her because why would a toddler lie? I would recommend this as a good toddler craft when you need a little bit of not-too-messy arts and crafts time. If you are feeling daring- add a drop of food coloring. The shaving cream comes off really easy, however you smell like a newly shaved dude for a bit- even after washing your hands. 

And, as an aunt and educator- please, keep exploring. You will discover so much.


No comments:

Post a Comment