Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Converting clip on earrings to hook earrings, part 1

In honor of March is Craft Month I deiced to take on a few projects. One of those is turning my grandma's collection of clip on earrings to wearable dangle earrings with a hook. My grandma never had her ears pierced but loved earrings. I have my ears pierced but never wear earrings. This about to change. I just inherited my grandma's earring collection. I have at least six tackle boxes full of earrings.


My grandma passed away while I lived in Glasgow back in 2005. My grandpa held on to these, and I got them recently, after his death in November. My grandpa was one of my most favorite people on the planet and even writing this post makes me misty eyed. I got a lot to remind me of my grandpa, but these are special. You see he was a boat maker by trade, but he also made and fixed jewelry, mainly for my grandma. Once I start my jewelry business, he kept telling me if I moved back to Detroit, we would go in business together. And man, I wish I did.

Anyway, I want to show the process of turning her clip-on earrings to wearable earrings for me. I find clip-ons horribly uncomfortable. So, this is my easy post, my next one will involve a dremel and Keith helping me to get the backs off these things.

First, I got out my supplies. I picked out my favorite, easy to change earrings, two hooks and my trusty pliers.

I removed the jump ring (the circle connector), careful not to bend it, because I wanted to reuse them. Then I removed the clip on.

I attached the hook to the jump ring.

 Carefully reattach to the earring, closing the jump ring tight, so you do not lose the earring.

Done!


Me showing off the earrings, excuse the disaster that I am today.

That was easy enough, right? Well, watch for part 2 which I promise will be an adventure for all of us.










No comments:

Post a Comment