Sunday, March 16, 2014

Day Trip: Galena, Illinois (photo heavy)

This morning we were cleaning and listening to records and in a funk. So, on a whim, I asked Keith if he wanted to go on an adventure. Usually, Keith is the one to initiate these crazy ideas, so he went for it. I asked if he wanted to go to Iowa (about 2.5 hours away) and get dinner. He suggested instead that we go almost to Iowa and stop by Ulysses S. Grant's Home in Galena, Illinois. Here's something important about me. I love tea. I love puppies. and I love Ulysses S. Grant. I don't know when it happened but that bearded gentleman has found him into our house in the form of paper weights, dolls, and framed photos. Keith even got me an original campaign token for Christmas one year. So, needless to say- I was totally onboard going to Galena.

So, we drove 2.5 hours. So this could happen:

Me outside the Grant house



We really enjoyed the Grant house tour- which was our first stop. I snapped a few photos of the house, of course making sure it was okay with our guide.
Walking up to the house

U.S. Grant on door

Parlor

Dinning Room

Grant's bedroom

Leaving the house




So, after our house tour we drove the block or two to the downtown area and parked. It was a cold day, but we braved it and walked down the street.

Main Street

Rootbeer Shop (more about this under photos)

Hot sauce shop. We left empty handed :(

PBR. Keith was excited by the old poster

Wish it was open

Blacksmith shops call to me. I saw this red building from the main street and made Keith walk with me to it, then yelped for joy when I saw it was a blacksmith shop. Too bad it was closed.

Ha! Nice name for a store.

We stopped for tea and coffee to warm up. It was cold!

Dream house...? maybe. Very Victorian.

We made a trip to see the Mighty Mississippi River. It was covered in ice and the area was too muddy to get out.

However, Keith loved the "hovercraft" 




Downtown Galena was adorable. Keith said he liked how proud they were in their own history. I ate it up. Buildings from the 1860s, and flood gates greeting you to a city- AWESOME. We will be going back for sure when everything is open and the area is warmer. We wanted to walk the river- but it was just too cold.

I have to note the Rootbeer shop was awesome! We got a 6 pack that we mixed and matched- a butterscotch rootbeer, salted caramel rootbeer, etc. I cannot wait to devour these soon. VERY soon.

We had such a great time, and stopped on the way back at a barn for dinner. I had irish stew and mac and cheese. Delicious. I am so glad we did this and we need more of these day-long detours in our life...we all do :)

Happy travels.

2 comments: